الجمعة، 17 يوليو 2015

working in the field of eating disorders awareness and body image education









When my daughter was born, I had recently finished writing a book about how to make peace with your body before and after baby. My co-author was already a parent at the time; I was the “expert” voice, having spent my entire adult life working in the field of eating disorders awareness and body image education. I had personal experience, too, as so many of us do. Struggling with eating disorders through high school and college, I spun frantically and fruitlessly on that hamster wheel of perfectionism. Thankfully, I got better. And along the way, I understood that while my illness was a complicated cocktail of contributing factors, the constant glorification of thinness around every corner and on every page and screen was not some superficial side note. It was a very big deal.